Re: [Amps] braid vs bus wire

To: Paul Kraemer <elespe@lisco.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] braid vs bus wire
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 05:28:27 +0000
  You want something that has at least as much surface area per inch of length
as the largest conductor in the coil.
I don't know what the surface area of RG-58 shield would be but you can take
calculate the circumference of the
#14 wire and compare it to the circumference of the tiny wires in the braid
times the number of wires.
  Now saying that, there are two issues that are important.
1. Tinned wire has higher RF resistance than bare or silver plated copper wire
due to the fact that the tin or if older stuff tin/lead has higher
resistance than copper or silver.
2. Braid soaks up solder like a sponge and thus much of it quickly becomes a
solder covered strap losing much of that surface area.
    It would be best if you don't have strap available to go to hardware store
and get some copper flash material
    and cut it up into strips.

73
Bill wa4lav