Re: [Amps] Another 50MHz oscillator

To: k2vco.vic@gmail.com, martin@hs0zed.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Another 50MHz oscillator
From: Gerald Williamson via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 11:51:18 -0400
Hi All, Vic is probably exactly correct. Assuming this to be the case, the
amplifier likely has more than 20 dB of gain. That makes the need for
neutralization even greater. Also, depending on how you plan to use the
amplifier, there may be a need for input attenuation to prevent over  drive.

If attenuation is needed, it may be more practical to add some resistive
better  stability at the same time.

Another consideration is the class of operation. If the amplifier is set up
 for class C, then the grid bias would be a lot higher than class AB or B.
If  this grid bias is derived from grid leak then there would be no bias at
all  without rf drive. In this case, high plate and screen current would
certainly be  the case.

I would suggest you unplug the tubes and do some d.c. tests to determine
the presence of grid bias voltage before going further. You could also
disconnect the heater voltage if that is easier than removing the tubes.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 7/20/2015 10:28:53 A.M. Central Daylight Time,