Re: [Amps] SMPS Question

To: dezrat@outlook.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SMPS Question
From: Gerald Williamson via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 12:42:21 -0400
Hi All, the principle is reducing the plate voltage and current by the same
 percentage lowers the power input and output while retaining the same
plate load  impedance.

For example, lowering the voltage to 70.7% and the current to 70.7% results
 in a reduction of power input by 50% with no change in the plate load
impedance.  The drive level has to adjusted of course.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 7/21/2015 11:34:11 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
dezrat@outlook.com writes:

------------ ORIGINAL MESSAGE ------------(may be  snipped)

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 09:16:17 -0700, you  wrote:

>Along the same vein as Colin, I have an adjustable 0-4kv,  0-2.5Amp SMPS.
It
>has a switch freq of 18 khz.
>
>Will this  allow to change the Ep, and not retune?
>
>If so, why not use more  often? Seems like an efficient way to go. Much
>lighter, and voltage  regulation is <1%.
>
>What am I missing?
>
>Charlie  N6CFH

REPLY:

Sounds good to me. Where does one get such a supply  and what is the
cost?

Generally, if you change the Ep and increase  the Ip to maintain the
same power, you should retune. Is that what you are  asking?

73, Bill  W6WRT