Re: [Amps] Question on installing new Amp tube

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question on installing new Amp tube
From: Mike Tubby <mike@tubby.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 16:59:22 +0100
If the 3-500Z has stood for a long time unused I suggest you use the 'Reactivation 3-500Z' procedure by PA0FRI, here:

    http://pa0fri.home.xs4all.nl/Lineairs/TL922/tl-922eng.htm

When I did this with a new-old-stock tube I used 40V and had no significant current indication for about 1.5 days, then the current meter started to 'flick' a few milli-amps and back to nothing and then after a few more hours it started a constant reading of around 50-60mA which then rose until it hit my current limit.

I used a pair of 0-20DC bench power supplies in series to get 40V and set the current limit at 400mA.

After the reactivation I put the tube in a PA and it worked fine.

Mike G8TIC