Re: [Amps] Henry bleeder resistor source.

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry bleeder resistor source.
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 14:04:15 -0500
Those are Ohmite vitreous enamel resistors. Historically, they have been
top quality, almost mil-spec.

I had a 150K 100W Dale HL-100-06Z (made in Mexico) bleeder in my dual-833C
amp's HV PS. It opened up some time after I raised the HV to a point where
it was dissipating a little over its 100W rating. It had a thin, dull gray
coating over a white hollow ceramic tube. The wire winding was just under
that coating. (FWIW, it didn't strike me as mil-spec quality.) When that
Dale resistor opened up, it cracked all the way through, right where the
winding opened up. It seemed that there was a hot spot there, for that to
happen.

Dale has also established itself as a reputable resistor manufacturer. But
I suspect that an Ohmite vitreous enamel resistor similar to that Mouser
link might not have failed. But I did exceed the Dale's 100W dissipation by
at least 10%.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com