Re: [Amps] question about SPE 1.3K FA amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] question about SPE 1.3K FA amp
From: amsctalx@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:18:37 +0000 (UTC)
Quadras aren't bullet-proof; the RF deck seems to be rather solid but the
control circuitry is another topic entirely. I don't have the schematic at
hand, but the Quadra has an unregulated DC "sub-supply" ahead of the main logic
board to provide Yaesu transceiver-controlled power switching. This supply uses
"fuse resistors" to provide protection and drop the voltage to the logic board,
and there is a tendency for these to open in the presence of relatively mild
transients. This requires opening the amp up to the core and replacing devices
that are rapidly becoming obsolete. It takes a rather substantial line
conditioner ahead of an amp to help prevent this from happening on a routine
basis. The Quadra tuners, which I realize are not the primary reason for buying
the amp, struggles to make matches within the advertised impedance range.

They're great amps, but hardly perfect and that's why I'm one of the people
that replaced them with Experts.

73,

Mike - N8MSA