Re: [Amps] Ameritron ALS 500M

To: Mike Feher <n4fs@eozinc.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron ALS 500M
From: "Ray, W4BYG" <w4byg@att.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 15:08:26 -0500
Mike,
I have had my ALS-500 mobile for about 3.5 years, driving it with an FT-100D at about 50 watts drive SSB and CW. Basically it has served me well and has never shown a heat problem.

I have never tried it on AM, but I would suspect you would have to keep the output power somewhat below about 25% of what it is rated for (about 125 watts or so), if you were going to try it on AM. That would likely require input drive around 12 watts from your exciter.

If you try it, initially be real sensitive of the heat build up while operating, especially if you are anticipating keying it for 10 minutes at at time. Even then, I tend to think that amount of key down might stress the finals, so I would test it thoroughly (into a dummy load), with lower drive and shorter key down periods, working toward your goal, with low heat build up on the heatsink, before any significant operating. If it gets to hot to hold and keep your hand on it, it's to hot.

Once you find a comfortable output power level and if you do not have a way to look at the waveform output for distortion. I would ask for a number of quality checks when initially going on the air.

Be sure your antenna system either has a low SWR, or you have a good antenna tuner to provide a good match to your amplifier. It won't like anything above a 2:1 SWR.
Ray, W4BYG