Re: [Amps] More on "baby ur radio"

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] More on "baby ur radio"
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 20:36:43 +0000
Bill, and all,

So, absent migration, do transistors "wear out"?

That's a rather philosophical question.

One might argue that over the years there will be corrosion, radiation damage, who knows what else, and after thousands of years the transistors will no longer be usable. Also, in typical ham use, there is frequent thermal cycling, with all the expansion and contraction that means, and depending on construction and mounting technique this might eventually lead to fatigue cracks, the silicon chip detaching from the carrier, and so on.

There are relatively well established curves relating thermal stress and current stress to lifespan. What's clear is that transistor's lives are drastically shortened by high temperature. Used in a comfortable temperature range, to nearly stop migration effects, they last very long. One could say that an amplifier using transistors can be designed for pretty much any desired service life, by making the transistors run cool enough. On the other hand, equipment that will see relatively few hours of actual use - like most ham equipment - can be down-designed to a price target by accepting a relatively short life span, running the transistors rather hot.

I can provide some first-hand anecdotical information: I bought a new Kenwood TS-450SAT in 1991. Very soon later I set up a packet radio BBS, and from then on this radio was used for over 12 years for the BBS, running 24/7, and adding up easily 8 to 10 hours of daily TX time, at full 100W output. Almost all of my message and bulletin forwarding, with typically 6 to 12 forwarding partners, was on HF. Mostly 40 and 20 meters, also some on 15 and 80. Bandswitching was done automatically, by CAT. The antenna was a non-resonant delta loop, tuned by the radio's atomatic antenna tuner. My BBS was almost permanently linked to one of my partners, 24/7. I left the BBS running continuously, even when travelling abroad for several weeks. So my radio must have added up around 40,000 hours of full power transmitting, and well over 100,000 hours of total operating time. That's far more than most ham transceivers are ever required to do. And since packet radio involves huge numbers of brief full power transmissions, interrupted to get the acknowledge frames, my radio's final transistors were subjected to an enormous amount of thermal cycling.

After the packet radio era pretty much ended, and I too shut down my BBS, this radio reverted to the typical occasional ham operation, in SSB voice and some digimodes, slowly adding some more hours.

And after all this, the final transistors are working exactly like they did when new. No degradation can be noticed at all. Instead several other components of the radio have needed replacement, among them several electrolytic capacitors, switches, controls, the DDS ICs, and a ceramic filter. So I'm a witness for the fact that RF power transistors, correctly applied, have a long life span, longer than that of several other component types. Which doesn't mean that it's infinite, of course.

Now go and ask broadcasters. I would bet that there are some who have clocked 200,000 hours or so on their solid state transmitters, at full power, without observing any transistor wear effects. Anyway broadcasters must have the most experience with RF power transistor life expectancy.

Manfred