Re: [Amps] NTC thermistors as soft start

To: "'Conrad PA5Y'" <g0ruz@g0ruz.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] NTC thermistors as soft start
From: "Saandy" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 18:02:47 +0200
The problem with NTC resistors in a HV power supply is not regulation: when
they're hot their resistance is low and have no effect. The problem is
recovery time. I the power supply is working and you have a momentary
dropout, the NTC,s have no time to revert to their cold state but the filter
capacitors drain down. When power returns you have the bad state: low
resistance-i.e. no current limiting- and empty capacitors; precisely the
state you wish to avoid.....
The best protection would be a dropout detector and a step start relay. A
relay can revert to the start position in a fraction of a second, usually
before the filters dry out, so that it's ready to absorb the inrush
transient when power returns.
Alex    4Z5KS