Re: [Amps] worthwhile patents on RF amplifiers?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] worthwhile patents on RF amplifiers?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 23:28:34 -0500
I'm no expert on patents although I learned more than I wanted with the company I worked for. Most of their products were based on a propitiatory process and not patented. The rational was that without the patent information present, the gamble was no one would figure out the rather simple process. It worked and no knockoffs turned up in over 50 years. Far longer than the patent system of the day would have offered protection.

Somewhere around 50 years, another company finally figured it out, won a patent, got greedy, and sued us for 50 years of patent infringement. It came out that we had been doing this for 50 years and they lost the case and patent. Now anyone who figures it out can make the stuff as it went from an expensive product to a relative inexpensive commodity. That was under the old system, now it's first to patent something, but if it can be shown they are holding a patent on a process, algorithm, or product that has been commonly used , configured, or produced, then they will lose the patent. Under the new system, we would likely have lost the case and the settlement would likely been in the Billions..

The following is what I believe and may be right or wrong.
I don't know if you even need to prove it works, or produce a working model.under the new system It has paved the way for companies that purchase patents and vigorously pursue, or defend those patents. I've forgotten the name for such slime. They have no facilities, no devices, generally nothing but the patents. It started a whole new industry.

These hold until someone with enough money to see it through the courts for at least several levels, or prove to the USPO their claim is bogus.. These places have relatively little invested and hold a LOT of cash, so they can hang in there unless the patent is invalidated on the first challenge.

In this case, perhaps a Handbook, or few old magazines that predate their application would be enough.

73

Roger (K8RI)