[Amps] Ceramic tube temp too low?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Ceramic tube temp too low?
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:08:28 -0600
Didn't see your call sign but assuming you are building this for licensed amateur service, here is one opinion. You cannot damage a ceramic metal tube with too cold liquid, within reason. Two things may limit you, one being freezing point and other being the dew point. If you are in a humid climate, and happen to turn off the RF power, but leave the cooling on, you may find significant condensation on the surfaces within the amplifier, if it is below this point. We have done this by accident at the particle factory, where we had chilled water cooling a particular part (input circuit) of a big triode. With the filament off, and no RF, there was no heat, so it 'sweated' inside the cavity and was fireworks when the RF came back on.

John
K5PRO