[Amps] 8877 heater inrush

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 8877 heater inrush
From: Alan Ibbetson <alan@g3xaq.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 16:01:53 +0100
I am collecting parts together to build a rugged but low weight amplifier for solo DXpeditions. I have an 8877 tube that I want to use.

A 5V switchmode PSU instead of a mains transformer for the heater looks a good way to keep the weight down but the low resistance of the cold heater (0.05 ohms for the tube I have to hand) means I will need to limit the current on switch on, not only to babysit the valve but also to prevent the SMPS going into foldback or hiccup limiting.

I can envisage a number of approaches to providing the required step start based on relays or solid state switches but they require an estimate of the time it takes for the heater element to become hot enough at reduced voltage to offer a "reasonable" resistance for when the full heater voltage is applied.

Does anyone have data on the heater startup current on an 8877? Curves of both steady state current versus voltage and of current versus time at fixed voltage would be useful. Please note that I am not asking about the time it takes for the cathode to reach operating temperature; that is well documented.

73, Alan G3XAQ