[Amps] Cooling 77SX

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Cooling 77SX
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2016 14:38:23 -0400
As it sits now, the fan is always on at
the maximum amount and other than when I'm
on RTTY, the air temp from the exhaust
rarely gets over 110 degrees.

The fan is noisy from the air turbulence,
the motor/bearings are as new. I would
like to reduce the fan to a low speed and
kick in at a higher temperature. What
would be ideal would be for the fan to
progressively increase the RPM to match
the cooling need and increase as the
temperature increases.

Perhaps the most reasonable solution would
be to have the fan run at a minimum speed,
place a thermostat with probe in line and
have it kick in at one specific temp and
give full RPM at that point but I would
prefer a progressive speed:temp solution.

I've also thought another option might be
to remove the fan & disconnecting the
power to the motor, connecting a 20' long
6" duct to the exhaust vent and at the
distal end of the duct, have an in-line
fan.

I can't visualize how to make a
progressive speed solution and I'm not
sure of a cost effective thermostat that
would be small enough to be internal to
the amp.

Any suggestions, thoughts? I really would
like to keep the fan noise down in this
otherwise silent shack.

73,

Gary