Re: [Amps] Greetings From A Future Amp Builder

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Greetings From A Future Amp Builder
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 09:17:51 -0700

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 07:45:12 -0500, Joe wrote:

>I just by accident discovered this list! Great!
>I hope to get much assistance and opinions and knowledge from the people
>here.
>I have built SB-220's
>I have re-furbished many of the same.
>But I have never built any amps from scratch.
>I have been extremely lucky lately, And because of this incredible luck,
>there are several amp projects seen as a possibility in the near future.
>Looking forward to be working with all of you here on some of these
>future projects.
>
>Joe WB9SBD

REPLY:

Welcome to the group, Joe. Lots of experienced and helpful builders
here. If you are really starting from scratch, I would recommend
reading the amplifiers chapter in any recent ARRL Handbook and asking
questions here about anything that is not clear.

And don't be discouraged if your first efforts are less than perfect.
I built five different amplifiers before finally getting it all right.
Homebrewing an amplifier is not for everyone. I especially would
discourage building an amplifier just to save money. By the time you
are done you will have invested far more time and money than if you
had just bought a good commercial amplifier. But you will have the
satisfaction of doing it yourself, which basically is priceless.

Good luck and stay in touch.

73, Bill W6WRT