[Amps] SCR to adjust 240v to 200v

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SCR to adjust 240v to 200v
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 07:42:24 -0700
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 11:11:33 -0400
From: Jim Durham <jimdur@gmail.com>
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SCR to adjust 240v to 200v

Thank you, Boye (OZ7C) and the others that replied.  I think I did not
explain my project clearly.

First of all, yes, I know about buck transformers.  I am using a Variac,
which does the same thing and also allows me to adjust the input AC
voltage. The Henry 2K has the filament voltage supplied from a winding
on the plate transformer, so, with the Variac, I can adjust the input AC
voltage to give about 9.8 volts for the filaments, which is ideal and
produces 3000 volts for the plates.

A large buck transformer or Variac requires an external box, which is
what I am using now. They won't fit in the amplifier without seriously
hacking up the cabinet.  I don't want to do that.

So, I was just asking if anyone on Amps had tried using an SCR to
control a large choke-input power supply ?   That sounds attractive and
would fit in the cabinet,  but also might damage the power supply choke
by applying non-sinusoidal power (the 2K-2 has a choke input power
supply).  That was my question.

Thanks to all,  I should have explained more clearly what I was asking.

73 de Jim, W2XO

##  still another method is to use a small variac on the primary of the buck
xfmr.
Sec of buck xfmr goes in series with one leg of the 240 line.   Then u can
easily
dial up the exact buck voltage you want.  Forget the scr, not gonna work.
Or use a buck xfmr with several taps on both the pri and sec.

Jim  VE7RF