Re: [Amps] Ameritron/MFJ ROLLER INDUCTOR for GS35b amp

To: "nemo zilch" <nemozilch@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron/MFJ ROLLER INDUCTOR for GS35b amp
From: "Jeff AC0C" <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2016 21:48:43 -0500
If you are going to put in a roller, my suggestion is to lay out the tank so that should you later want to change from the roller and implement a switched tank, then you physically can if needed.

The real mistake I made was not in using the roller, rather it was to tuck the roller down in the corner so it's got a wall and floor on two sides, and the other two caps on the other two sides. I literally boxed that thing in. Fast forward to the present, where I want to move to a switched tank, but doing so would involve moving one of the caps at a minimum. And in my case, the move of the cap also involves relocating the associated stepper motor and position sensor. I wish I had considered the outside chance that maybe someday I would need to go to a switched tank...

One way to do this is to stack the caps vertically near the wall of the amp. With the roller next to them and only free space above and on the other side of the roller, you have options. In the event the roller works great, then great! You are done. But if you run into some roller strangeness that you just can't resolve as I did, then you would have the physical room to swap out the roller for the switch and associated coil structures, without having to rework the front panel as well.

Good luck!

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie