Re: [Amps] Alpha 9500 Owners: Question on Overdrive resistor.

To: BRADLEY FOCKEN <BFOCKEN@msn.com>, Mike & Becca Krzystyniak <k9mk@flash.net>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 9500 Owners: Question on Overdrive resistor.
From: Charles H <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 01:29:46 +0000
If an component fails due to over-drive in order to protect other parts in the
circuit, that sounds like that item is functioning as A FUSE.

Further, as a devastated former 9500 owner with this problem, twice, I can say
that any product designed to have an SMD resistor ...in a ham radio product...
which works as a fuse is bad design.  Technicians in their lofty labs can cope
with SMDs , but not me, Mr. Point-to-Point wire man.  Yes that resistor should
have taken several hits before failure, but not for me.

I did not want to publicly slag on Alpha (that Alpha company, not the current
one) too much, but the real cause of that tiny resistor to fail was from inside
the 9500 which changed its programs at its own whim.  I set it up with correct
input and outputs and tuned them all as per instructions.  Then in what
appeared to be normal operation, the 9500 would just select something else,
causing the problem.

The three parallel disk capacitors coming off the output of the tube were
UNDER-SPEC-ED and failed in normal operation.  The under-specifications is
proven by the fact that Alpha, upon my complaint, offered a higher rated cap on
their spare parts list.  Those better caps appeared on Alpha parts list the day
after my complaint.  The technician I consulted said the first caps had been
giving trouble "back to 76."

That same (name-with held to protect the nice) technician told me that the 9500
should come back to the factory about EVERY THREE YEARS.

Now, before I nail anyone for telling me I don't know what I am talking about,
I sign off as perhaps the most UNsatisfied Alpha customer ever.

Charly K4VUD