[Amps] TL-922(A) Recent Acquisition

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] TL-922(A) Recent Acquisition
From: Jeff Breitner <lists@rudn.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 09:36:47 -0400
I'd like to get some opinions/thoughts on bringing back into operation a
TL-922a that I recently acquired.  The unit sat for at least 15 years in an
attic.   I don't think it has many hours on it. Which  of course may mean,
it is broken.

For as tattered as it looks on the outside,  the inside is remarkably
clean.  There is some damage from hydrogen sulfide corrosion, which is
common with electronics in the area in which it was stored as it comes from
the well water.

I am sure the switch contacts will clean up fine (I have cleaned similarly
affected switches before), but the silver plate on the tank coil is gone.
The copper tubing doesn't appear compromised, and the parasitic suppressors
fared much better with the black corrosion wiping off.

I don't think the coil has to be re-plated, and getting it out of there may
cause more damage than just making sure any remaining silver sulfide
particles are removed.

As I prepare to do a far deeper inspection this weekend and check the
obvious, I'm interested in opinions and experience with this amplifier,
particularly restored units. It will be many weeks before I can run 220VAC
(or a 30A 120V circuit) to my bench, so I have plenty of time to look
things over.

Thanks,

ka8ncr