[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [Amps] SB-220 fixed

To: <>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 fixed
From: Catherine James <>
Reply-to: Catherine James <>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 22:49:48 +0000 (UTC)
List-post: <">>
As you might expect, this problem turned out to be trivial once found.

The problem was that the black B- wire running from the cap board to the 
diode/mixer board was hanging by a thread.  Heath used stranded wire for this; 
if I were building from scratch, I'd probably use solid.

It *looked* like it was attached, and when I did the meter testing the other 
day I must have contacted the wire instead of the joint. But I went to examine 
the joint closer, the one or two strands that were holding it broke off with no 
effort.  A quick re-stripping and re-solder and...

I'm now getting 3100V+ on the built-in HV meter.  All good.  Now I just need to 
reassemble everything, close the case, and see if I can make the RF come out 
and the smoke stay in. :-)

Thanks for the help and encouragement.  The moral of the story is, when you 
hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.  Usually it's something silly like a 
bad joint or a bum resistor.  For a while, I forgot that key bit of advice.

Amps mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • Re: [Amps] SB-220 fixed, Catherine James <=