Re: [Amps] Machlett 3-500Z tubes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Machlett 3-500Z tubes
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 10:01:52 -0700
Machlett was a long time producer of unique power tubes that was originally related to Raytheon I believe. They made a number of unique tubes such as magnetic focused triodes for megawatt modulators, and
very high voltage switch tubes, plus a thorough line of XRay tubes.

The tubes were taken over by Eimac years ago. Most have long since been discontinued, except where they were common types between companies that are still made for some longstanding customer (like military). But Machlett as a tradename is gone.

These tubes are likely made in China unless they are very old stock. I am not sure I ever saw a 3-500Z in my Machlett datasheets though.
Sounds like an opportunistic reuse of the name.

Speaking of which, looking at the Black Friday circulars inserted in Thursdays Thanksgiving Holiday newspaper, I saw a lot of consumer electronics with the RCA name (even the stylistic logo). Obviously this is another reuse of a classic name in electronics, just for marketing glamor.
73
John
K5PRO