[Amps] More thots on ham amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] More thots on ham amps
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 05:53:26 -0800
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 12:14:44 +0000
From: Charles H <k4vud@hotmail.com>
To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>

-Dishtronix 2400L 1/A, $10850... using factory internet info only.  Appears a
new beast on the block, my subjective reactions.  Suggests that if ur SWR is
high, just turn it up to compensate for lost power (wow), no antenna tuner (I
need one, ant swings in wind, changes as rotated, etc.),

## OK, so it does 2.4 kw out into a dummy load, and 1.5 kw into a 2:1 swr.
Comes with no auto tuner, and has a lousy –30 db pep TX  IMD..... which is no
better than a sweep tube amp from 1972.
Charles is onto something though.  For the same $ outlay, you could buy 3 x
AL-1500s, then tune em up on different bands, like 160-80-40 for night time
use, and 20-15-10  etc for day time use, or perhaps  40-20-15.
If one amp blew up, you still have 2 x  functioning amps left to play with.
And all  3 of em will handle  high swr with no tuner.  IMD on a 8877 is a
magnitude better than the dishtronix.  And any AL-1500 will easily
do 2.5 kw pep out on 80m.  Parts are all interchangeable on 3 x AL-1500s.

##  anybody know what final transistors and config used in the dishtronix amp ?
  Aside from the lousy  IMD, I’m not knocking Dishtronix, only to point out
that high power SS is still not a cheap prospect.
If any portion of the Dishtronix blew up, most would have a helluva time
repairing it.   A simple GG triode amp is also simple to repair.

Jim   VE7RF