Re: [Amps] The cost of amplifiers, radios

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The cost of amplifiers, radios
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 01:40:12 +0000

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 01:06:36 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>No argument there, but most of us couldn't afford a $13,000 radio today.
>
>Luxuries, including ham radio equipment, have gotten cheaper in real
>(non-inflationary) dollars since the 1950s and 1960s.  But the cost of
>necessities (land, houses, cars) and college education has risen dramatically,
>and real wages have not.  So there's less left over for luxuries.
>
>73,
>Cathy
>N5WVR

REPLY:

I agree, but a serious ham will find a way. Second job, used
equipment, horse trading, etc.

You might consider homebrew but I caution you: While you can save a
LOT of money by scrounging parts, it will be FAR more work than you
imagine. I homebrewed five amps of various designs before I got it
right.

In terms of effort, I would have been way ahead to flip burgers at
McDonalds until I had the cash.

Been there, done that.

73, Bill W6WRT