Re: [Amps] MOSFET amp filtering - was: auto-tune

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] MOSFET amp filtering - was: auto-tune
From: Steve Wright <stevewrightnz@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 18:46:47 +1300
On 12/12/16 17:17, many people wrote:

Not if the SS amplifier had an out impedance of one or five thousand
Ohms.
But they don't. Typically a few ohms. You could step it up to a few
thousand with a transformer and then run it through a pi network I
suppose, but then you lose the advantage of SS amps: they are
naturally broadbanded and don't require tuning  [...]

Broadband - That's just not true. 90% of the topic has been about filtering and diplexing - that's not broadband if have to have per-band filtering, even if we DON'T have to have per-band matching.

If we are going to be hams, then we find new ways to do things, especially if it's cheap and repeatable.

If the topic is filtering and maintaining a good match - then why can we not transform up to the input impedance of an inexpensive multiband matching system?

What would be the input impedance of a multiband matching and filtering system that was half the price and complexity of the currently used per-band filter? Would the loss of that transformer be a magnitude worse than a 50ohm output transformer?

Steve  ZL1BHD