Re: [Amps] MOSFET amp filtering - was: auto-tune

To: manfred@ludens.cl, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] MOSFET amp filtering - was: auto-tune
From: "sm0aom@telia.com" <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 17:13:41 +0100 (CET)
The confusion of "Morse" and "CW" is quite typical for amateur radio, where
homemade definitions abound.

From the beginning, "CW" was a technical feature of the transmitter to discern
it from a transmitter that generated "spark" or damped waves, which later got
the emission class "B". The only way to modulate a spark transmitter in a
meaningful way was by on-off keying using the Morse alphabet.

When the vacuum-tube oscillator became practical, the spark transmitters
quickly faded into obscurity (except as a ship's emergency transmitter),
and the Morse code became sent by on-off keying of a CW signal. Still, the
modulation was Morse.

For some reason, the transmitter characteristic of being able to generate a CW
signal and the Morse on-off modulation came to be
used interchangeably by amateur radio in particular.

Professional radio operators and engineers have since very long referred to
Morse modulated continuous wave emissions as "A1" or just "telegraphy".

"ICW" was mentioned previously.

It was an intermediate waveform that was used in maritime radio before
receivers with beat oscillators became commonplace
which enabled them to receive unmodulated signals, and was emulating the class
B emission from a spark transmitter for interoperability reasons.

ICW had only a short period of use, primarily at shore stations whose
transmitters had been modified from spark to vacuum tube.

For the same reason, the emission prescribed on the 500 kHz maritime distress
and calling frequency up to the end of the "old system" in
February 1999 was A2A or tone modulated Morse code emissions.

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM