[Amps] Time to back up- SS and autotune

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Time to back up- SS and autotune
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 05:37:07 -0500
In the original post I made the statement, "paraphrased," that the latest generation of SS devices run with plenty of overhead didn't need an auto tuner. They would not be hurt with the wrong antenna, a short, or open.

NOWHERE did I advocate running them like that.

SS amps run at half power have a much greater tolerance to these "temporary" conditions and has been mentioned, running at reduced power increases the signal quality. I believe I mentioned running a pair of 2400 watt units in parallel with a combiner. Such amps have already been built and operated with previous generation devices. Remember the backpack legal limit amp walking around Dayton?

When run well below their ratings, junction temps are low and needed protective circuitry is minimal allowing a legal limit amp (on steroids) to be built for a fraction of the cost of current legal limit amps capable of any mode, no time limit.

Forget today's SS amps and their expensive protection requirements. Such an amp "could" be built commercially for about half the $10,000 claimed. I'm not saying they would, only that they could. (It's what ever the traffic will support)

Unlike tubes that can be pushed beyond their limits, doing so with SS guarantees a very short life for the device and a crappy signal, but it's "relatively easy" to parallel properly designed circuits through properly designed combiners for the power to be run that give excellent linearity, rugged with minimal protective circuitry, and good efficiency at a reasonable heat load that is easy to get rid of. (QUIET!)

There were a rash of worst case scenarios about running the transistors close to their limits following the original post which did not apply to the original intent.

73

Roger  (K8RI)