Re: [Amps] Modern AM Broadcast Transmitters

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Modern AM Broadcast Transmitters
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 10:49:06 -0800
On Sun,12/18/2016 8:04 AM, donroden@hiwaay.net wrote:
 WLW was licensed for 500KW ( 1/2 Megawatts ).

As a senior EE student at UC around 1963-4, I had a tour of WLW and the VOA site. That 500kW rig was still there and was fired upfor us, running into a dummy load (cooled by water circulated from a fountain out front). As I remember the story more than 50 years later, that was never their primary rig, although I think it was intended to be, and did get on the air for some overnight testing, but WWII happened, and they stayed at 50kW. The modulation transformer for that big rig "sang" like a big loudspeaker!

I had worked for a broadcast consultant for a year a year earlier, and the office had a map book of all the antenna contours for every frequency on the AM band. WLW was one of two clear channel stations that had no other allocation on their frequency in the US. I think the other was WOAI, on 1200 kHz in TX.

That VOA station was a wonderful engineering tour -- I had just finished my course in Transmission Lines, so it was like a "lab" for that course. I'd been a ham since 1955, so I really appreciated the antenna farm too. As I recall, the VOA rigs were 20 kW, and antenna gains were in the range of 20dB for the rhombics and a bit less for the two curtains. They picked up a dB or two by replacing the termination resistance with a transmission that they fed back to the antenna input in phase with the drive from the transmitter.

73, Jim K9YC