Re: [Amps] Coax specs

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Coax specs
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2017 00:48:11 -0800
Hi Bill,

Remember that RG numbers are no longer specs for cable, merely generic descriptors. Remember also that below UHF, attenuation is all copper loss, so if you can get physical dimensions and construction details, you can get pretty close to its loss by comparing to another cable with the same dimensions and construction.

Google found this on the first try. Center is solid copper, 0.25-in, shield is double silver-covered copper. Dielectric is 0.632-in.

http://www.awcwire.com/productspec.aspx?id=rg189-coaxial-cable

http://catalog.standard-wire.com/Asset/RG-Attenuation.pdf lists attenuation for a bunch of RG numbers, and I saw a note in my searches that 189 has been replaced by 389. RG389 is listed here as 0.8 dB at 100 MHz.

73, Jim K9YC