Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of
From: Kevin <kstover@ac0h.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 18:13:37 -0600
Jim,

My TS-520 does not have a "power control" like my K3. My fathers TS-450SAT does have a power control. I used to use the 520 on PSK31 and MFSK. I'd tune it for maximum smoke on SSB and then feed it negative ALC voltage from a 9V battery through a pot to control output power. Get it right down to 25W and the IMD readings from my IMD meter would be -35 or better. I did AFSK RTTY the same way.

I assume the reason it worked so well was because the ALC voltage did not vary with the transmitted signal. Otherwise it was a royal PITA messing with the drive control, carrier control, and mic gain.