Re: [Amps] TenTec 425 Plate Current at Standby

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] TenTec 425 Plate Current at Standby
From: Steve Bookout <steve@nr4m.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 17:49:59 -0500
Hello all,

This is spooky-weird.

I have been following this thread from the beginning only because I am the original owner of a 425 amp. Just general interest.

A few days ago, I started trouble shooting an older amp that was given to me. It used the same 3cx800 tubes and was not showing any output for 10 watts input. Wound up swapping out the tubes for the ones in my 425 to make sure they were not the issue. It was used for contesting and could have just been beat to death.

Tuned up my 425 with it's original tubes and got several hundred watts output with very little drive, maybe 20 watts, just to make sure everything was OK with the test amp.

Swapped tubes and made good output, so I swapped them back out again.

Today, I was back at it finishing things up, as I had to purchase some fish paper to put between tube anodes and silicone chimneys. During the tube swap, the old stuff was brittle and crumbled, so I replaced it.

Anyway, after replacing one meter bulb, I fired things up again. While waiting for the timer to expire, I reached over the amp for some reason and found the air exhaust was HOT. Looked at the plate current meter and it was reading 300 ma.

So, it looks like I lost my cut-off bias as well. How co-incidental is that!

On top of the high plate current, I also now notice no discernible grid current indicated. I am assuming that is consistent with the loss of bias.

Now, at least, I don't have to ask the same question. It seems you all have addressed the cause/fix for TWO of us.

Thanks.

(Btw, the other amp was suffering from a bad vacuum relay stuck in the N/C position. On order.)

73 de Steve, NR4M