Re: [Amps] PowerGenius XL Video

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] PowerGenius XL Video
From: Kevin <kstover@ac0h.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 17:52:14 -0600
No way a pair or trio of 3-500Z's does 1500W FM/RTTY key down all day.

An 8877 won't do it either without having a very big, very loud blower.

On 2/10/2017 4:29 PM, Bill Turner wrote:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 10:30:17 -0800, VE7RF wrote:

##  If it ends up being $7-10K..and  cant be used for FM or  RTTY at full
power, I would pass on it myself.
REPLY:

Me too. When this amp was first announced I was  pretty gung ho for
it, but now I'm not so sure. A single 8877 will do anything the SS
amps will do except instant-on, and if that's really important to you,
a pair or trio of 3-500Z's will fill the bill.

If you think about it, a pi or pi-L network in the plate circuit is a
wonderful thing. Not only does it's Q reduce harmonics it also matches
impedance and compensates for SWR (reactance) all at the same time,
something a SS amp by itself can not do.

Maybe I'll keep my 9500 after all.

73, Bill W6WRT

R. Kevin Stover
AC0H