Re: [Amps] Power thread

To: <amps@contesting.com>, <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power thread
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 15:16:03 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Brown  <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
> Not by a lot though -- it mostly matters when you're on the edge of the
other guy's noise.

Even the guys with the biggest amps running a "California kilowatt" and
the biggest towers cannot communicate anywhere in the world under any
propagation conditions.  There is always a point at which you are 1 dB
above the noise, or in the noise.

The guy running more power will find that there are conditions
when he can communicate over a given path at a given time with a little more
power, but fail with less.  VHF/UHF/SHF ops are very much aware of this,
probably more so than HF ops.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR