[Amps] WATERCOOLING TUBES

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] WATERCOOLING TUBES
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 14:54:47 -0700
Eimac has an app note for water and vapor cooling, which is similar to RCA/Burle/Photonis and Thompson/Thales, Amperex/Philips, E2V, Siemens, Telefunken recomendations. All refer to using DI water (or distilled) and resin beds to regenerate the pure water in a side loop. The resistivity requirement is such as to minimize DC current in the pipes and hoses through the water. By minimize, it is preferred to keep current below 1 MA, preferably in the hundreds of microamperes, for the highest plate voltage operated. It is up to the designer to select the hose diameter to get the proper flow (at min back pressure) and to then get the current in the ballpark, but selecting the hose length and the worst case resistivity that is going to be tolerated in the design.

Like I have said before, in workplace we comply by selecting hoses up to 60 inches or longer, and diameters of 1 to 1.5 inch or larger, and resistivities of 2 to 5 Megohm-cm. In all cases, we strive to keep current in the hoses below 0.5 mA per hose. We get very long life of tubes and fittings this way.

Another twist it that the tube manufacturers (for larger tubes) may offer a sacrificial electrode that can be installed in each hose at the anode end and at the ground end, that will carry all of the current so that hose fittings don't erode. These electrodes must be checked regularly as they erode away, but the water resistivity can be then maintained in the hundreds of kohms-cm instead, a much less expensive way. I prefer the former approach. Our resin bottles are replaced every 6-9 months this way, by calling Culligan man.

Eimac and the others also specify the ph, the oxygen content and the dissolved solids level allowed. It is a lot of information that probably doesn't apply to the tube cooling that amateurs might require.

It is true that vapor phase cooling is more severe about the water purity requirements. Nowadays, modern tubes don't use vapor phase exactly, but instead use a form or multiphase coooling, sometimes called hypervapotron cooling (by Thales tubes). This is a topic that is beyond what hams would use. where the nucleate boiling occurs right in the anode jacket but liquid water comes out of the return pipe from the anode of the tube. It is much more effective at handling large power dissipation.

For solid state amplifier cooling, few of the tube requirements apply. This is because the DC voltages are low, like < 50 VDC. In this case additives such as corrosion inhibitors and glycols can be used without ruining the high resistivity needed for high voltage isolation.

I must state that it is very risky to add anything to an ultra pure water system without testing it first for how it will affect the resistivity and the rest of water properties. I can furnish a number of very good references to the hams wanting to investigate tube water cooling. It is recommended to avoid it these days unless you have the need to dissipate more than blowers can handle.
73
John
K5PRO

Message: 3