Re: [Amps] Price per Watt Conversation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Price per Watt Conversation
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 17:38:42 -0400

On 4/21/2017 4:53 PM, Jay Terleski wrote:
The OM amp has huge overhead so at 1500W so your not stressing it
like SS amp rated for 1500W. So IMD is good, Less noise, more watts,
good price per dollar. readily available tube still in production.

Several of the newer LDMOS designs are using *two* active devices
rated at 1500W each.  They are not nearly as stressed as older
devices run into saturation and should provide significantly better
IMD than marginal designs like the Expert 1.3K.

Tubes amps are going to be around for awhile. Is that OK?

I appreciate tubes but I don't know that I would bet on the long
term availability or their quality/reliability of tubes from BY.
Quality/reliability is responsible for the demise of tubes from
the broadcast world.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV