Re: [Amps] Drivel

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drivel
From: "Mark Bitterlich" <markbitterlich@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 14:09:31 -0400
Bill W6WRT said:

when blood is spilling and things are on fire, voice is king.

I believe you said a lot of things, but what I was really addressing was your comment to wit: Relying on CW in an emergency will get you killed.

A pilot flying a VOR or ILS or Localizer approach relies on hearing the CW I.D. to know that the station is operating properly. He is relying on CW to PREVENT an emergency, the one that could happen when he crashes into the ground, killing himself, his (or her) passengers and the poor folks walking around. And since it PREVENTS an emergency, somehow that doesn't count? Ok, I guess there is logic in that.... someplace.

So after he kills a few hundred people by ignoring the fact that there was no CW I.D., voice will be used when all the blood has been spilled and fire is everywhere. Point taken.

Lots of people have really different views regarding Morse Code. There are those that can't live without it and those that can't live with it. In the middle is reality. The statement: "Relying on CW in an Emergency will get you killed" is nonsense. In an emergency you rely on anything that works and will save lives, sometimes by choice, sometimes by direction.

The whole debate/discussion is rather meaningless. I engaged because I recognize certain tactics and dislike them. The fact is that there is room for all modes of communication in ham radio. That said, I like to work DX, and ANYONE who likes to work DX knows for a fact that it is easier to nab a station working split using CW than it is with voice. Advantages such as CW Skimmer abound. Other modes might be even better, but DX stations as a general rule operate SSB, CW and RTTY more than anything else. In addition CW, just by understanding physics, will be heard a lot easier using a given power level than SSB. Add some really serious power to it, and you stand an even better chance. Power defined as ERP, or E times I !!!

But relying on CW is not going to get you killed. Once again, I point to many things, but the U.S. Navy is probably the best. Voice is not King, even in an emergency, not during EMCOM at night, not during Darken Ship. No RADAR, no radios, only a lightbulb and Morse Code. Hard to refute, but I am kind of sure one guy will... somehow.

Mark
wa3jpy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Turner" <dezrat@outlook.com>