Re: [Amps] new amp race

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] new amp race
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 03:47:45 -0400
My TH-5 at 100 feet was too high by all calculations, but that was the only place I had for it and man did it play well on DX. If I could hear 'em, I could "usually" work them on one call. Statistically it would have done better mounted lower. OTOH there were the sloping dipoles anchored for 75 and 40, plus a single half sloper for 160 anchored under it which means it really wasn't 100' above ground. OTOH I discovered I get good results with the FT5000MP running 200 watts into an AV640 on a 25 foot mast on 40 and 20 compared to the center fed, half wave, sloping dipoles (on 40) with the high ends around 90 feet..

BTW I ordered an ANAN-8000DLE. I like the numbers.
I figure with my network, I can run the rig from the house or shop without the need for SO2R and all the associated switching along with all the extra required coax connectors. I don't worry about loss in connectors on HF. Even with UHF connectors. Even with the AIM it is difficult to spot a UHF connector on 40, or 20.

If I sell all the excess equipment I can pretty much afford the OM A4000, or save some money and get the little A2000+ which includes 6 meters.
I'd mount either amp in the basement, directly under the station in the den.

73, Roger (K8RI)