Re: [Amps] Tube amps are not a thing of the past

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube amps are not a thing of the past
From: donroden@hiwaay.net
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2017 13:00:16 -0500
I have never liked the 30S-1 grid derived ALC.
The grid voltage is passed through ( essentially ) an audio transformer and
the tube has to draw grid current before the transformer's secondary is rectified for an ALC voltage.

Sure, it's RF Frequency independent, but a cathode voltage sample with an adjustable ALC control would be better to prevent grid current BEFORE it happened.

Don W4DNR

Quoting Gary Schafer <garyschafer@largeriver.net>:

Hi Jim,
I think that the 4CX1500 has the same grid as the 4CX1000.
Somewhere I have seen it written by Eimac that it is ok to draw a small
amount of grid current during brief tune up.

The Collins 30S-1 (4CX1000) develops ALC from grid current.

73
Gary  K4FMX