Re: [Amps] LDMOS availability

To: "Bill Turner" <dezrat@outlook.com>, "Amps group" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LDMOS availability
From: "Mark Bitterlich" <markbitterlich@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:57:18 -0400
The first thing that must be agreed is that if the device conducts less than 180 degrees then it is Class C. I submit that this is not nonsense, it is the agreed upon definition of what determines a class of amplifier. There is nothing cast in stone that requires the output in class C to be non-linear, the text simply says it typically is not. That leaves a lot of room for how to view new ideas and techniques.

Back in the days when I learned the hard and fast rules (and definitions) of that time, things like "pre-distortion" were never taught let alone executed. Modulating the bias of a tube with a complex feedback loop tailored towards improving linearity was also never considered (that I came across anyway). Another thought to ponder is that if the general consensus agrees that less than 180 degrees of conduction defines Class C, just which 180 degrees are under consideration? Does it have to be less than 180 degrees continious, or less than 180 degrees total?

I am not necessarily discussing the current topic, but think for a moment of a digital word that defines polar coordinates on a graph. The definition and transmission is purely digital, but when you connect the dots that those coordinates define, you can have a reasonable reproduction of an analog waveform. My point in saying this, is that a lot of times it becomes a matter of how you look at something that determines how you define it.

I do not consider my teachers to be incorrect, but then neither is Manfred.

Mark Bitterlich
wa3jpy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Turner" <dezrat@outlook.com>