Re: [Amps] issue with AL-1200 output -UPDATE NUMBER 2-

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] issue with AL-1200 output -UPDATE NUMBER 2-
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:02:18 -0400

On 6/28/2017 3:59 PM, MU 4CX250B wrote:
> Good answer. Only thing I'll add is that the results are altitude
> sensitive. A larger gap is required at higher altitude, but I'm not
> aware of any charts.

On the other hand, an air capacitor also arcs at a lower voltage at the
higher altitude.  When properly set to protect the capacitor at sea
level, the gap will be the same at altitude since the break down will
change proportionally for both devices.  If using a "pointed" gap one
could most likely set the gap the same as the plate to plate spacing
as the pointed gap will break down before the parallel plates or even
the "leading edge" of one rotary plate to the adjacent fixed plates.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV