[Amps] Variac

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Variac
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2017 10:07:39 -0700
Be careful wiring a variac.   Easy to reverse the output taps, such that CW
rotation reduces the voltage.... instead of increasing it.
Then you end up with max Voltage in the fully CCW position.  Similar concept to
wiring a potentiometer  ass backwards.
Test the variac..1st.... b4 you use it.   On some of mine, they are encased in
a round box, with a 120 vac corded input and an 120 vac duplex outlet.
Some are bare bones 120 vac variac, that you wire up..and ditto with one of my
0-240 vac versions.   Last thing you want is  full bore vac..when you think
you should be at minimum.   Some of my other ones have taps for the output
side... like  0-240.... OR  0-270.

Jim   VE7RF