Re: [Amps] Alpha

To: "'Jerry'" <jsternmd@att.net>, "'Dick Green WC1M'" <wc1m73@gmail.com>, "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 19:57:45 -0400
This makes sense. My recollection is that two ICs had to be changed to do
the AlphaMAX upgrade, and those must the U7 PROM and the U9 PAL. Since my
amp was working except for RS232, those chips were OK. The 64 hex bytes of
amp specific data you refer to must be flashed in the CPU's internal EEPROM,
which is why Brad had to calibrate my amp and write the parameters to the
new CPU. Let us know what you find out about the CPU bootloader. I wouldn't
be surprised if Alpha also flashes a custom bootloader to load the operating
code from the PROM and PAL. If not, then it would be possible to do a field
replacement if the amp-specific parameters were previously recorded to a
file.

Such a shame that they don't have the code anymore. There were many bugs in
the original firmware that could have been fixed, especially the fault
processing. Back in the late '90's I did manage to get a firmware patch from
Alpha to correct an obscure bug I found where the 87A would fail to activate
(deactivate?) the plate choke relay when using auto frequency detection to
switch to the low bands from the lowest segment on 40. They must have had
the code at that time to be able to come up with a patch. I posted
instruction on how to do the patch. I think they're in the Yahoo groups 87A
file section.

Hard to imagine how the code and the amp-specific data could have been lost.
Those are valuable corporate assets that should have been backed up daily
and stored offsite. I would hope they have sources and customer data for the
9500.

73, Dick WC1M