Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 178, Issue 22

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 178, Issue 22
From: Steve Wright <stevewrightnz@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 11:56:36 +1300
On 08/10/17 05:45, jerome schatten wrote:
> [...]perhaps I can arrange for a transfer of VE7ASS to you/your wife
> upon my demise. You might be interested in some of my other calls too:
> VE7POO and VE7SPY. POO and ASS are kind of a matched set so take both
> if you can. Of course you don’t seem to disclose your call, so I don’t
> know where you are <g>.

Hah!  I'm in ZL but unlikely that the liberal do-gooders here will allow
such a thing.  I already asked my wife, and she was emphatically and
rudely against the idea.  You don't have TIT as well do you?

Yes the slot in an interesting one.  It's a rectangle 1/2y long and 1/6y
wide, shunt fed with coax from one end with no balun or match of any
kind.  As such, a 30m slot is a small antenna.  The width of the slot
has a lot to do with it's feed impedance.  It's a lot of work to get
this antenna 1:1 - but you must, because out band with a tuner it loses
all it's shine.

The basic design is this;
http://www.hamuniverse.com/hentennarev.GIF

You can lay it flat (four corners same height above the ground) or you
can stand it upright.  Our experiments show the laid-flat design goes
very well indeed on 160/80/40, where we're applying the 'what goes up
must come down' principle.  The upright versions (large!) were a lot of
work to support, and there was only a S-point in it.  There may be merit
in the upright version if you were targetting a specific corner of the
compass.

Adding parasitic elements works very well - set ground as reflector,
and/or add directors.

The bare driven element, simulated, shows ~10dBi gain.  You'll have fun
with that.

Steve  ZL1BHD