Re: [Amps] Stuck setscrews

To: "Alek Petkovic" <vk6apk@bigpond.com>, "Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP" <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Stuck setscrews
From: "Jim W7RY" <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 09:31:33 -0600
I'm sure a search for "softening lock-tight" will lead you to the proper solvent...

73
Jim W7RY

-----Original Message----- From: Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2017 7:43 AM
To: Alek Petkovic
Cc: Amps reflector

I'm sure those would do the job. More than the job, unfortunately.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/
On 8 Dec 2017 14:50, Alek Petkovic wrote:
Angle grinder or oxy torch.

On 8/12/2017 7:27 PM, Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP wrote:
I have an older Palstar AT-Auto tuner. It uses stepper motors to turn a rotary inductor and a capacitor. It works very well in my station (or it did).

The motors are connected to the coil and capacitor with semi-flexible insulated couplings that are made out of some kind of plastic strip. The plastic on the one for the capacitor has disintegrated. I have a good quality metal and ceramic coupling to replace it with, but I can't budge the setscrews holding the old one. Allen wrenches twist to no effect.

The screws are held with some kind of glop. I don't think it is Loctite but I don't know for sure. I put some penetrating oil on them and am waiting to see if that works.

I suppose I could drill them out if needed, but that is a last resort because I am afraid of damaging the motor or the capacitor. Any suggestions?