Re: [Amps] titan 425 dimming, dropping power

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] titan 425 dimming, dropping power
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 23:00:43 -0800
I'd start by checking the string of big 450V caps in the HV section of the power supply.  You want an old analog VOM, like a Simpson 260, on a medium high resistance scale. First, disconnect from AC, make sure the HV is completely discharged. Then use the VOM to go down the stack (8 caps, I think) reading resistance, then reversing the leads, then reversing again. For a healthy cap, you should see low resistance from charging current, gradually dropping to zero each time you reverse the leads. Go down the entire stack, remembering what the strongest caps look like. Chances are you'll find only one that's weak, sometimes two. While you could replace the entire string, it's rare that all are bad. Buy replacements at the usual industrial electronics sources. The last time I bought was ten years ago, think it was either Newark or Allied.

I've got three of these amps. Schematics that make troubleshooting easier are on my website. k9yc.com/publish.htm  Scroll down.

73, Jim K9YC