[Amps] Henry 2k-4 HV inductor - Tuned choke input filter

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Henry 2k-4 HV inductor - Tuned choke input filter
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 01:33:24 -0700
Hi Jim, I see you remembered this! I learned of the tuned choke input idea from the 1964 Collins Radio SSB book by Pappenfus, and also looking at the Henry circuit, a 1950s edition of Terman Radio Engineering, one of the Galaxy transceivers, and a few other commercial circuits that used it. I had also talked to a designer at SNC transformers in Oshkosh who knew the idea and was challenged and interested in making the chokes. I had liberty to do it at Broadcast Electronics, as we could try ideas that weren't conventional;we were trying to introduce products that would change the industry at the time. The standard for FM broadcast rigs was an L-C-L-C choke for single phase and just an L-C for three phase power supplies. With FM being a constant power mode, it made sense. The hitch was that if the exciter drive was removed, with a class C final, then the load shifted to near zero current. And then, any reasonable L input filter would cause the HV to soar tremendously. Typical response was for the HV meter to peg the scale and scare the engineers! FCC R&R had strong mandates that the final voltage and current meters operate in the upper 2/3 of scale, not at half scale, for the rated output of the transmitter. So when voltage soared because of not enough load, the meter went above 100%. The only way around it was to put in a huge bleeder that wasted hundreds of watts, otherwise. This was to get enough load that a reasonable choke like 10 Hy would meet the critical inductance criteria.

At the time (1980s) no one would have put a huge capacitor filter in the transmitter, due to cost and space. Voltage for a single phase 3500 watt transmitter was 4500 VDC. Series electrolytics did not meet the long term 24/7 reliability goals. With a resonant choke, this was simplified. It didn't need to do anything most of the time, and it was only going into resonance with the parallel cap at zero load. That prevented the voltage from soaring and pegging the HV meter when it happened. FDesign of the choke then was simplified, as it had to have the exact value of L, measured with low DC current. When loaded with more current, choke inductance drops. Resonant freq rises above 120 Hz. (or 100 Hz for the overseas model tap on the choke). And the voltage stays reasonable as the load current is high enough to ensure critical inductance in the filter.

As for exploding capacitors, I found quickly that the normal oil filled paper/mylar filter capacitors were not appropriate for a resonant choke circuit. I measured the peak voltage across the cap when it was resonant and when it was off resonance, and indeed it was a large swing. Hence I went to two HV caps in series with plenty of margin. It helped that my cap manufacturer had a lot of microwave oven caps made with polypropylene and low loss tangent, for a very low cost. Rarely if ever did one pop. I designed it so that with no current drawn, it ran right at resonance but never on the low side.

Many years later, (in the past decade) I have talked to some of the owners of those transmitters still running them. They didn't understand the circuit, ended up having a cap leaking oil eventually, and just left them out or worse. So the thing had lousy regulation no load to load. Thats the worst case problem once the cap fails. The chokes didn't fail, SNC did a great job of building them for this circuit.

One other point, I learned that the resonant choke doesn't provide adequate filtering for harmonics of the rectification frequency. 240, 360, 480, etc. They just roar through the L as it has a shunt C bypassing it for the harmonics. So a second L-C section had to be added to the design, for the higher order filtering. It was very small, not 10 Hy or anything like that.

All in all, it was an interesting project, but I would never do it again today, well who would use a tube for FM anymore? It is probably not an appropriate design for SSB or AM where the load is varying significantly all the time.

73
John
K5PRO