Re: [Amps] Henry 2k-4 HV inductor

To: "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom@telus.net>, "Amps group" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 2k-4 HV inductor
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 14:08:54 -0700
Jim gives good advice here. A combination of a glitch resistor to limit
flashover surge from the filter capacitor, plus an HV fuse close to the tube
HV feed, is cheap and important protection.

One additional precaution pertains to tetrode amplifiers. If there is an
internal arc in a tetrode, it is essential to kill immediately the screen
voltage to avoid destroying the tube. In my homebrew GU74B (x3) amp, I use
three HV fuses in parallel just as the HV enters the bottom of the plate
choke. On the downstream side of the fuses, a voltage divider samples the
HV, with a 5V full scale output. If the 5V goes down because of a tube arc,
the screen supply shuts down immediately. Note that these fuses are intended
only as a safeguard against internal tube arcs, and will not blow because of
a flashover elsewhere in the amplifier. With triodes, it's probably best to
place the HV fuses closer to the power supply. In my tetrode amp, I wanted
the fuses also to serve as a diagnostic aid, since the fuses will blow only
if a tube flashes over internally. I thought that was useful information,
especially with NOS GU74B, which are notorious for arcing internally when
first powered up. And, in fact, that is exactly what happened!

The HV fuses and voltage divider circuitry are on a little PCB, which you
can see from a photo at
http://www.w8zr.net/160amplifier/RF%20Deck%20Construction.htm.  Like Jim, I
use a second voltage divider across the filter capacitor which meters the HV
between B+ and B-, and also a magnetic circuit breaker across the AC line.
73,
Jim w8zr

Same deal, 3A
> fuse open off in less than 2 msecs every time.  6700  / 50 =  134 A  fault
current.
> 8 kv / 50 ohms =  160A fault current.    134A / 160A  fault current opens
off the 3A  rated
> HV fuse  stupid fast.  On the 8 kv supply, the concept was tested  at
least 11 times.
> Nothing happens...except for an open HV fuse.
>
> ###  Its  2017, and chokes, resonant chokes have gone the way of the do-do
bird.  Put the
> money + weight into the HD quality xfmr, with either  a doubler or a
FWB..and a high C
> filter cap,  HV fuse, and 50 ohm glitch Resistor.  If you want bomb
proof, then install a
> 2nd
> HV fuse.... and wire 2nd hv fuse between plate xfmr secondary +   diode
board.   2nd HV
> fuse
> goes in just ONE leg of the sec.   Ok,  now you can short the  B+ to the
B-.... or B+  to
> chassis,
> right at the HV filter, and nothing happens, except for open HV fuse #2.
Diode board
> remains intact.
> We tested that concept several times as well.   The HV fuses are fast and
cheap, and faster
> than a HV mech relay or even a sped up vac relay.
>
> ##  I use a HV meter in the HV supply, wired directly between  B+ and B-
of the filter cap.
> 2nd
> HV meter is in the RF deck, between  B+ and B-.   HV meter in RF deck is
AFTER the 50