Re: [Amps] Low pass filters and saturated operation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Low pass filters and saturated operation
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 00:49:33 +0000
Steve,

coughdiplexer

No go! While it's true that a diplexer would nicely terminate all harmonics and thus avoid impedance transformation in the line, it would also negate the main advantage of an ET transmitter, which is the high efficiency. With a near square wave voltage at the drains, a diplexer would dissipate a considerable amount of power in the load resistor.

The game is making an amplifier that does not dissipate power generated at harmonic frequencies, but that simply doesn't generate any power there. To that end the low-pass filter cannot be a diplexer.

Rob,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Ha ha! Excellent! A keeper. I hope I didn't sound like that to too many people here! :-)

Manfred