Re: [Amps] Sad State of the Hobby

To: "'Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP'" <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sad State of the Hobby
From: <kstover@ac0h.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 09:57:36 -0600
That's correct.
Read the FAQ that Victor has posted the link for.

The first reviews are being posted. One by W0YK (RTTY contester) who used
the KPA-1500 in the last RTTY contest, says the amp did the whole weekend
without some much as a hiccup. He has an 8877 amp which remained off for the
weekend.

So, what conclusions are we to draw?

A solid state amp did 1500W out for an entire weekend of an RTTY contest,
which the "experts" deem impossible.

It is possible to build a quiet 50V switching power supply. One of the best
places in the world to develop a supply like that is the same place they
make one of the best receivers (K3s) in the world.

<Sarcasm>
Could it be the "experts" are wrong and you CAN build a reliable legal limit
(US) solid state amp for $1,000 less than the coveted Alpha 9500? The answer
is yes. The days of throwing a box full of old technology together and
calling it an amp, running on a gazillion amp 12V power supply that
resembles the wire welder I have in my garage, and using a furnace blower to
cool i,... are over. These new amps are NOT your father's SSPA's.
</Sarcasm>

When Elecraft decides at some date in the future to kit the KPA-1500 and let
builders save a few hundred dollars doing  the grunt work themselves...look
out.

R. Kevin Stover    AC0H
ARRL
FISTS