Re: [Amps] Commander HF 2500

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Commander HF 2500
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 17:06:55 +0000

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 10:05:55 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>My Commander HF2500, new in 1996, is still working up to spec, including
>plate voltage at 2,850 without a load.
>
>Should I consider replacing the filter caps?
>
>Thanks for your comments.
>
>Jay, K2ZT
>___________

REPLY:

If you have the time and inclination, replacing them is a good idea.
Filtering a HV supply for a legal limit amp is pretty heavy duty use
due to ripple current flow. A bit of a job, but may save you a failure
down the road.

FWIW:  The HF-2500 should not be run on RTTY at legal limit on
160-80-40. I had one and burned up the tank coil toroid twice learning
my lesson. Keep it below 1 kW on those bands and you're OK. As I
recall, the toroid is not in circuit on 20 and up, so that is not an
issue on those bands.  Double check the schematic to be sure of that,
but I'm pretty sure that is correct.

73, Bill W6WRT