Re: [Amps] Titan 425 keying issues

To: Amps Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Titan 425 keying issues
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 10:41:00 -0700
I own three of these amps, and had to troubleshoot them several times. To make that easier, I drew up the schematic in AutoCad and printed it to several pdf files that are on my website.  k9yc.com/publish.htm

Except for the tubes, all of the circuitry is garden variety discrete transistors, diodes, and resistors that can be replaced by readily available parts. The only troubleshooting tool I needed was a Simpson 260 to check the semiconductors. You'll need to remove the boards to troubleshoot them. Check EVERY semiconductor -- when one blows, the fault often takes out others, including a power resistor that's part of the bias circuit.

As to "won't key up" -- make sure that you're keying it properly. The keying logic in this amp positively prevents "hot keying" by monitoring the position of the vacuum relay. The transceiver MUST have enough keying delay time set that (after PTT from the transceiver) the relay pulls in before the transceiver sends RF. My experience has been that 8 msec is enough, and this is the default for many (most?) rigs. I've never tried less.

73, Jim K9YC