Re: [Amps] 8877 negative grid current (MU 4CX250B)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 negative grid current (MU 4CX250B)
From: "Chris Hays" <chris@chrishays.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 14:26:59 +0000
I read somewhere that this can happen in a tube with a lot of hours and possibly some abuse. Over time, the grid can pick up contaminants from the cathode, which may let the grid get warm and start acting as an emitter (cathode).

I have also found that tubes with very light grid structures, like the 4CX1000, will do this without much provocation.

Depending on the circuit, the tube may operate fine, but clearly this is abnormal and if it gets high enough can destroy the grid (just like any other over-current situation on the grid).

Chris, AB6QK